When Does a Broken AC Need Professional Attention?
Summer in California isn’t complete without days at the beach, ice cream, and relaxing with family. It’s also not complete without a working AC system. Without one, a home becomes uncomfortable; it can become downright unlivable.
But when does an AC system need professional repair? Can some problems get better on their own? Here, one can learn the signs of a failing AC system and what to be on the lookout for.
The House Never Gets Cold Enough
According to a survey from Consumer Reports, most Americans like their homes to be at or around 71 degrees Fahrenheit. However, with a failing AC system, that might seem close to impossible. An AC system may fail to efficiently cool the home because:
- Its condenser or evaporator coils need replacing
- The air filter needs replacing
- There’s an issue with the power supply
- The fan blower isn’t working
- There’s a refrigerant leak
Every AC unit becomes less efficient over time. The U.S. Department of Energy says the average AC system lasts about 10 to 15 years. Once the unit reaches the 10-year mark, rather than continuously pouring money into repairs, it can be a good idea to consider AC replacement. Replacing the unit could save time, patience, and money.
The Energy Bills Are Higher Than Usual
The Energy Information Administration (EIA) reports that the average California homeowner spends about $123 monthly on energy bills. Some households may spend more or less, depending on their energy consumption and occupancy.
Everyone should understand how much their energy bills are. If they notice an unexplained increase, it could indicate a problem with the AC unit. A failing AC system may cost more to operate because:
- It works “overtime” to keep the house at a certain temperature
- The unit short-cycles, costing money to power on and off
- Homeowner may find themselves constantly paying for repairs
- Energy loss prevents the home from cooling down
A homeowner may balk at paying for a new AC system. However, many energy-efficient systems are now affordable thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022. Appliances with the EnergyStar label are eligible for tax credits and rebates, maximizing homeowners’ savings.
There Are Strange Noises and Smells from the AC System
An AC system shouldn’t smell like anything. It shouldn’t make noise, either. Here’s what to know:
- Foul smells from the AC system can point to anything from overheating to mold growth. In either situation, a professional should come to look at the system. If a homeowner suspects a gas leak, they should exit the home and call 911.
- Aside from an ambient hum, an AC shouldn’t make rattling, buzzing, or crackling sounds. These could indicate a faulty blower fan, loose components, or frayed wires.
AC replacement would fix all of these issues.
About Chris Wilson Plumbing & Heating Repairs Inc
Chris Wilson Plumbing & Heating Repairs Inc has served Seaside, California, for more than 30 years. At that time, this family-owned-and-operated company prided itself on same-day service, honest pricing, and after-hours help. Call today for AC service!