Kick Off 2023 by Installing a New Heater (or Maintaining an Older One)
Despite the name, Palm Desert does see low temperatures-–especially around the holiday season and into the new year. Many homeowners try to "suck it up" when saving money on heating expenses. Yet, instead of starting the new year freezing, one should consider the benefit of heater installation and replacement.
The U.S. Department of Energy reports that, on average, a heater can last about 15 years with minimal maintenance or repairs. It's worth mentioning that many of Palm Desert's homes date back to the 70s and 80s, meaning that, for many, heater replacement is well overdue. Here, one can learn about the benefits of getting a new system and what it means for their household.
When Should Homeowners Consider Getting a New Heater?
It's time to get a new heater when it stops heating the home adequately. However, some other warning signs indicate replacement, including:
- The thermostat gives incorrect readings. If the thermostat isn't giving the right readings, this could point to a problem with the heater. It might mean that the two devices aren't properly communicating.
- The energy bills are higher than usual. Every homeowner should have a rough idea of how much their monthly energy bills are. If they notice that their energy bills are higher than usual, the heater is working "overtime," putting increased strain on the system.
- The heater needs frequent repairs. It's normal for a heater to require some maintenance and repairs every once in a while. However, if it always seems like a heater has a problem, getting a new appliance might be more cost-effective than constantly getting repairs.
What Heater Works Best?
The best heater depends on a home's details, including its square footage, energy consumption, and occupancy. There are different types of heaters for different homes. Some options include:
- Furnaces. These heaters rely on pushing hot air through a home's air ducts. These appliances heat homes faster than other heat sources.
- Boilers. True to the name, boilers heat water and send the steam throughout the household. Boilers generally use less energy to operate than their competitors.
- Heat pumps. Heat pumps draw heat from outdoors and direct it indoors––even when it seems freezing outside. Since heat pumps don't generate heat independently, they also save homeowners money on operation costs.
What Does Heater Maintenance Entail?
The U.S. Department of Energy notes that homeowners should have an HVAC specialist examine their heating and cooling systems at least once a year. A professional can:
- Check for any refrigerant leaks
- Patch any leaks or punctures
- Examine the air ducts
- Address any mold or mildew growth
- Lubricate the motors
- Change the air filter
- Recommend some simple maintenance measures
A professional can also ensure that the thermostat communicates properly with the HVAC system.
About Chris Wilson Plumbing & Heating Repairs Inc
Chris Wilson Plumbing & Heating Repairs Inc have surpassed its clients' expectations since 1999. These professionals have served Palm Desert, CA, for more than 20 years and are committed to delivering results. Today, homeowners can schedule maintenance visits, heater installation, and other services. They're ready to help homeowners start the new year right.