Call a Specialist Before the Heat Waves Roll In
Scheduling AC maintenance before summer rolls around is just plain smart. It saves money, energy, and patience. Moreover, it prevents every homeowner’s worst nightmare: California in the summer with no AC.
It’s better to schedule an AC maintenance check-up sooner rather than later. Some reasons why include the following:
There’s More Availability Early in the Season
During July and August, some homeowners have to wait weeks to schedule an appointment with an HVAC technician. That’s because there’s high demand for their services. Yet, homeowners can generally schedule an appointment at the beginning of the season (or even at the end of spring) with no problem.
Here, a technician can:
- Clean the evaporator coils
- Patch any leaks
- Address any frayed or severed wires
- Change the air filter
- Clean the air ducts (if necessary)
- Address any mold or mildew growth
A professional may also recommend replacing some appliances if necessary. Thanks to the Inflation Reduction Act of 2022, many EnergyStar appliances are more affordable than ever.
Air conditioners always seem to break down at the worst possible times. Yet, by scheduling an AC tuneup appointment, one can prevent the following:
- Short cycling. When the AC system overheats, it may turn on and off frequently. Not only does this waste energy, but it never gets the home to the desired temperature.
- Refrigerant leaks. If refrigerant leaks from the AC system, it’ll blow warm air––the opposite of what anyone wants during the peak of summer.
- Frozen evaporator coils. If the AC unit’s evaporator coils freeze, this could cause short cycling and other headaches.
- Clogged air ducts. When the AC system can’t “breathe,” this could cause overheating, wasted energy, and above-average humidity. The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) notes that homeowners should clean their air ducts on an as-needed basis––which looks different for everyone.
- Mold and mildew growth. A leaking HVAC system can quickly lead to mold and mildew growth. This can compromise the home’s indoor air quality and make breathing unsafe.
In addition to preventing problems, homeowners can save money on their monthly energy bills. The Environmental Information Administration (EIA) notes that the average California household spends $123 monthly on their monthly electric bill. One can save even more by regularly consulting with a professional to optimize their appliances.
Extends the AC Unit’s Lifespan
The U.S. Department of Energy reports that the average HVAC system lasts about 15 years. Well-maintained HVAC systems last longer. That’s because:
- Frequent maintenance keeps any components well-lubricated
- Catching small problems prevents them from becoming large issues
- Energy-efficient appliances make the most of their hardware
- Frequently replacing certain components reduces wear and tear
- Homes with better indoor air quality typically feature better appliances
Some homeowners may wonder what options they have if they already have an HVAC system that’s passed the 15-year mark. In that instance, an AC system serviceperson may suggest replacement. Newer AC systems on today’s market feature smart home compatibility and other energy-saving features.
About Chris Wilson Plumbing & Heating Repairs Inc
Chris Wilson Plumbing & Heating Repairs Inc and his HVAC professionals have served Palm Desert, CA, since 1999. In that time, they have surpassed all expectations by consistently delivering service with a smile. They treat their clients like family by offering same-day service, honest estimates, and reliable repairs. For more information on AC service, interested parties can call today.